The Gileppe Dam, partly located in Baelen-Membach, is an undeniable tourist attraction.
A demand for the dam was made by wool weavers from Verviers around 1857 so that they could use the 40,000+ cubic metres of pure water they needed every day for the textile industry at the time.
The Gileppe Dam lake was filled in May 1875 and the dam itself was inaugurated on July 28th 1878 in the presence of King Leopold II.
Its 78-metre-high panoramic tower is home to an information centre and a quality bar-restaurant.
Nowadays, the Gileppe Dam and its monumental lion sculpture and lake attract visitors (tourists and local people) who enjoy long walks, peace and quiet and natural surroundings… on foot, by bicycle… and even on horseback !